Friday, July 25, 2014

Final Perfect of 5H

Being a Volunteer
My name is Sahana Sateesh.  I am one of the newly chosen volunteers of the junior school at Oakridge’s Newton Campus. The junior school is comprised of grades 1 to 5. The investiture ceremony made me feel proud of who I am and it was also a lot of fun. From the moment we marched down the middle aisle to the stage till the time my name was called and I was given my badge I felt proud. This meant that I was becoming a leader and a role model. My parents came to the ceremony and they were equally proud of me. At the ceremony, we also took the Oakridge pledge to perform our duties sincerely. Along with the position of a volunteer comes a lot of responsibility and duties. Becoming a volunteer was not that easy, you have to be elected by your classmates and class teacher with votes. I learnt that one has to have all the right profiles and attitudes in order to be chosen as a volunteer.  As of today, I have been a volunteer for just one day and I like it a lot. I, along with a few other volunteers, and Prefects maintain discipline in junior school. We also make sure that wastage of food is significantly reduced in the lunch hall, and a timely and orderly dispersal. Our duties also include attending meetings, planning for various activities and helping the teacher as well as the Prefect council. As a volunteer, I want to maintain discipline and reduce the wastage of food and make the Junior School on the Newton campus the best.
My Experience of Becoming a Prefect
I was new to the school and the school was new to me. I was happy that I would meet new friends and new teachers. I started getting adjusted to the new school and also the new environment and it was a very nice experience for me. One day, there was a discussion that the prefects were being selected. First, I didn't know what a prefect is and then my mom explained about the same to me. Prefects were basically the heads of the primary school. Eventually, also got to know about the selection process. I gave my name for the selections, which were about to happen. There were various rounds for the selection of a prefect. In the first round, I had to speak about the word ‘tolerance’ for one minute. The next round consisted of speaking to the teacher on, how could we make school events more interesting.I qualified in both the rounds and moved to the next round which was random interaction with other coordinators. After all these qualifying rounds, the final round was to speak and interact with our grade coordinator and activity coordinators. After all these rounds, the wait was over, and the names of the prefect committee were announced. I was immensely happy that I was a part of it. The posts were still not revealed to us, and we were to get it as a surprise on the day of the Investiture Ceremony. The grand preparation and rehearsals for the ceremony began and we practiced for the march past. Finally the day arrived when the posts were to be given to us in front of all the audience. We were very excited, got dressed in formals and came for the ceremony. All the parents of the prefects were invited.The students of 4th and 5th were present to witness the grand ceremony and their newly appointed leaders. The Vice-Principal spoke about the ceremony and our names were announced in our posts by our teachers. The badges were pinned to our shirts by the honorary delegates. It was a proud moment for me, my teacher, my parents and friends too. I was conferred the sports captain post and when the ceremony was over we had an individual picture with our parents and teachers. Now, my new role as a prefect and a sports Captain has begun and I have pledged that I will do my duties to the best of my abilities. I thank all my teachers and coordinators for supporting me and trusting me that I can deliver my duties well.


No comments:

Post a Comment